I’ve been concerned for sometime that when inserting ALPs into the A24 the lure often squirts out and lands on the trigger. Wiping excess off before inserting the ALP and even after inserting (prior to gassing the trap) can help mitigate this during installation. However, I have found when servicing traps that it is not uncommon for lure to harden and congeal on the trigger. I don’t have proof, but I suspect this contributes to the gas often being lost without many strikes recorded. As a result I have been toying around with a screen to fit in the ALPs mouth that splits the lure around the trigger. My first attempt is use the Goodnature screens out of the old lure bottles (pre-ALP) with a small rectangular plastic inserted inside it to block a cm wide area across the mouth of the ALP. I’ve not tried in the field yet but at home this seemed to avoid the lure dropping directly on the trigger and the ALP was still able to dispense the lure. Anyone else experimented with this? The ALPs have other problems (ie. I’ve only ever had around 50% of the lure dispensed before the ALPs stop working) but if perservering with them this seems to be an issue that is worth addressing.
I’ve never had that problem. Have you e-mailed Goodnature about it?
A minor problem I have with my A24’s, is that mice can eat the vast majority of the exposed lure without triggering the trap. I think that a screen of 6.25mm “vermin-proof” metal mesh blocking access to the ALP should solve the problem.
I hope that your experiment works. If so, please write a follow-up that includes photos.
No I want to test the approach first and sound out other to ensue I’m not designing something for a problem that does not exist. I’ve lost quite a few gas canisters when reluring because of this issue even after careful removal of excess. It could be an easy fix in the manufacture of the ALPs to have a splitter in the mouth, so long as it does not get in the way of getting the lure in the pouch. Yep I’m sure mice get their fair share of free lure, although I tend to find heaps underneath the trap that no animal is that interested in. I’ll post any follow-up.
I have also suspected that dripping lure sometimes triggers the A24 - this is especially likely when the temperatures rise and the lure becomes more liquid.
We often find that the lure has been eaten by little earwigs and slugs. At $10 per lure pump the cost for our neighbourhood project is getting out of hand. We would really like to find a cheaper alternative to the lure pumps, it seems like GN is charging way too much for a tablespoon of goo.
I have constructed a container out of small polyethylene bottle and fit it with Nutella. I think I have put up pictures somewhere if you are interested. Very cheap and seems to work OK. Let me know if you want me to dig it out.
Found it…Mouldy bait? Potassium sorbate
Ive also tried dehy rabbit with a spray of cider viengar with pretty good results. Makes you wonder why the commercial product does not already have preservative in it given its intended usage. My trial of a lure splitter did not work well as the ALP pressure pushed the screen out quite a distance which in turn would have placed the lure too close to the trigger.
Try using a couple of pieces of Erayz inside the bait cap for a change of lure.
Thanks Dan, that looks perfect for us. Can you please describe exactly what the bottle is that you use, and how do you attach the screw
I have searched my records for the sales order, but no good so far. I will need to describe it instead.
60 ml (2 oz) HDPE Nalgene bottle from Stowers, Lower Hutt 04 570 0905
Could be cat number 3079549, but your need to check. They are pretty cheap (a few bucks each).
The diameter of the neck of the bottle is 1 inch, and the thread fits the A24 perfectly. Sorry I don’t know the exact spec for the thread, but Stowers will know which bottle I am talking about. I cut the bottle in half so that the original bottom half of the bottle is re-used as the cap and the threaded neck is screwed into the A24. I can’t remember whether I stretched the cap to fit, but if I did, then I probably soaked it in boiling water for a few seconds before stretching. This allows access for filling and shortens the bottle to fit under the black A24 cover.