Adding Points of Interest/One Off Observations

I’m trying to add either a point of interest or a one-off observation - I want to record where we find cat scat - if I go on to Quick Actions then I saw something of interest a map comes up of the project area, but not the traplines, even though I’ve got project lines ticked, so I can’t click on the map for a location. So using the nearest trap is good enough, but whern I manually enter the co-ordinates of the nearest trap it says the location is out of bounds - what am I doing wrong or is there an easy way of doing this?

@taiko1978 I haven’t seen that particular trap coordinates error before, it sounds frustrating!
I assume that you’re copy/pasting the location coordinates from within TrapNZ which should rule out any issues around coordinate system mismatches (NZMG vs NZTM, for instance).
The first thing I’d check, given it said ‘out of bounds’, is whether all trap lines are fully inside the project boundary as drawn on the home page. It’s common for projects to add traplines over time, but the project boundary polygon doesn’t always get updated to match! If you think this might be the problem, the instructions to edit the project boundaries are here: Editing your project’s boundaries | Trap.NZ Help & User guides

Otherwise, have you tried adding the locations via the app as a workaround? It’s a bit slower if you’ve got a backlog of data that you need to enter, but it may be easier to get the exact location you wanted for individual finds.

Thanks @christina.g So I just tried again on the laptop - all the traplines are within the boundary & I copy & pasted a trap co-ordinates rather than typing them in & still got the same problem, just comes up with location out of bounds. I’ll download the app on my phone & try that instead!

1 Like

Hi @taiko1978 I’ve had a read through of the problem, and have been testing the function to try and see the error you are seeing.

It seems to be working well using latitude and longitude.

e.g. the following pasted into the field. -37.253488409084, 174.824340816120

Hope this helps, if not keen to get more info here or in the service desk (if you don’t want to post specifics here)

https://trap.nz/contact

Kind regards, Ngā mihi nui

In addition, I can see lines on the “One off observations” map under multiple projects and user levels.

So yes please provide more info to help me to see what you are seeing, it may be a project specific data or access issue. Keen to help resolve for you.

Thanks @jonathanb - I can do it easily on the app on my phone - the lines come up, I can just click where I want & I can add an observation. I’ll have another play on the laptop this evening but yeah, I couldn’t do any of that