Cheapish Nutella substitute

I created this recipe because the price of commercial varieties was going through the roof. Since then prices have moderated, but I still believe it is a bit cheaper to make it yourself than buying it in the shops. Having made it you may decide that you will never eat the stuff again :joy:.

200g Icing Sugar
200g High palm oil marge (e.g. Essentials Table Spread)
100g Hazelnuts (finely ground)
25g Cocoa
25g Milk powder
1 tbsp Soy lecithin, or 1 egg yolk (emulsifier)
1/2 tsp Salt
A few drops Vanilla (optional)

Start by finely grinding the hazelnuts in a blender. Add all the other ingredients and blend to a smooth paste. Done.

By making it yourself I donā€™t see why you couldnā€™t substitute the hazelnuts with cheaper peanuts. I doubt whether rats are that fussed.

2 Likes

Thanks for the recipes Dan. Yep, Nutella prices def getting up there. -Cam

The ingredients list is a bit elaborate I just use the ā€œnot fit for human consumptionā€, scrapings off the floor peanut butter which we get for free and mix in cocoa powder and it lasts for at least a couple of weeks and during the winter over a month without going mouldy.

Why does the recipe contain milk powder?

Is there a reason why you use palm oil instead of an oil like canola or rice bran?

Is the texture of the lure similar to Nutella?
Adding a bit of flour or corn starch could thicken the lure to make it harder for predators to eat.

This recipe sounds like an absolute magnet for rodents, but there are a few modifications that I think could enhance its appeal to stoats and weasels.

Adding some of Goodnatureā€™s Meat-loversā€™ blood-based to the mix, should increase its multi-species appeal. Insects arenā€™t attracted to Goodnature lures, so a recipe containing some might reduce insect interference somewhat. GNā€™s lures are weather-resistant, so even if a small amount of one was in a recipe, it would extend the lureā€™s field-life a bit.

Another ingredient option is tallow, which is rendered beef fat (100% saturated). Rats are primarily attracted to nuts due to their high fat content, and the inability of mustelids to store body fat puts high-fat foods at the top of the menu, so adding saturated fat to the mix would put an already potent lure on steroids. Itā€™s difficult to smell when itā€™s cold, but at room temperature or in the heat, tallow smells like roast beef.

Tallow would probably affect the texture of your recipe, with numerous small pieces of fat in it, but I doubt that it would pose a problem. Because tallow is hydrophobic, it would increase the lureā€™s ability to repel water, which would give it more mold-resistance. Tallow is the ultimate winter lure, because it is very attractive to all predator species and doesnā€™t go moldy.

What do you put the lure into?
It isnā€™t easy to get thicker lures inside bottle with good nozzles on them, like tomato sauce ones, but theyā€™re great to use, especially in snap trap bait cups.

Cheers.

What do insects, slugs, and snails think about your PB and cocoa mix?

Ants, cockroaches, and weta are the critters that eat my lures, but slugs and snails arenā€™t interested in any edible lure that I use, for some reason.

Cheers.