Consider open sourcing

I was a bit surprised that Trap.NZ doesn’t appear to be an open source project. Or if it is, it’s well-hidden! Has any thought been given to opening things up? There are a number of things I can think of to contribute, and I know a number of people who would feel the same way.

Not a bad idea at all, I’m not a computer programmer but there will be many code areas that could be added, and some old bugs or omissions sorted out. From what I understand, the work on the trapnz app and website might involve three full/part-time programmers, it’s about half the chargeable work for a small business, and regional councils and the like pay for the code changes. So maybe they choose the directions of new code areas. I’m not sure who owns the IP for the website and app, and whether the owner(s) would allow it to be opened up when the big database of records could be at risk. I will add here that it’s still somewhat time consuming to add repetitive no-catch records using the web version, and there is no good reason for that to continue to be the case. You have to add no-catch records with rebaiting to keep your trap check report valid, and that report is then used by others in the trapping team. And who are the people that really need to regularly use the app and web version? The trappers.

3 Likes

I agree, there are many advantages to open-source, especially in the not-for-profit sector - the rate at which features can be implemented and bugs can be fixed is increased immeasurably and doesn’t cost the earth. I’d be a contributor.

Thanks for suggesting it Rich.

Jake

3 Likes

I’ve been using the website since its inception. Entering no catch data for lines is very quick by entering it as the default for a whole line and then “Applying”. I’m not sure how that is repetitive. I only have to then spend time adding catch reports for the small number of traps that have caught anything. Using the App is less efficient but usually ensures more information is collected for sprung traps/bait missing etc. and the info is always fresh.

2 Likes

Fair enough, our space is just 32ha with over 200 traps to really keep the pests down and is set out in tracks or circles, the trap line feature isn’t used at the moment, so they each appear as individual trapping points. I want to be able to click on a trap and then one button to enter the default no catch/rebait/save, but we should look at setting up trap lines once we’ve finished moving traps around. We do like to mix up the possum traps a bit, so it’s good to keep the layout flexible for some of it.

Agree it would good to know who owns the IP and would be good if open source.

I’d like to see this project go open source as well. Feels like there are a number of people and groups that would contribute and help speed up the development of the project.

2 Likes

I agree with zeman & sikmat & others - open source might get the changes done that are essential to get reliable baiting data. Presumably a quality-assurance process develops & priorities are determined by whoever has energy to drive something along?

As well as the code, it would be good to open source the user guide. For example, I noticed today that the trap records page https://help.trap.nz/books/trapnz-comprehensive-user-guide/page/trap-records appears outdated, as it does not contain the “strikes” field to say what it is or how to use it. If the documentation were a wiki or a repo on github, I could submit a quick fix.

1 Like