D-Rat Trap - Risk to Birds?

If dogs and feral cats aren’t a problem scavening dead possums, leave their bodies for 1-2 nights at the trap where they were killed. Apparently, the presence of another possum at a trap increases the chances of them exploring the trap. Keep killing the bastards!
All hail cinnamon!

What have your results been lately?
I hope that the cinnamon has continued to work.

Any kills with the highly-modified Snap-E?
Have the T-Rex’s arrived, yet?

Cheers.

I’ve been away for a few days so haven’t checked the rat traps but nothing in the possum traps although there were signs of new possum damage around the rat traps a few days ago when I last looked. The T-Rexes have arrived and are set up, but again haven’t been around to check them yet.

The trail cam has been a bit of a disappointment, the lens is too long for closeup stuff unless all you need to cover is a very narrow field of view, but according to other reviews too short for field work where you’ve got deer some way off, it seems to be a bit of an unhappy medium. I need to check the footage again tomorrow but so far the only revelation is that there’s at least one pukeko down there which I’d never seen here before, and neighbours who have been here in some cases over thirty years had never seen either. If I hadn’t seen the video footage I wouldn’t have believed it, I’ve never seen one in at least a 5-10km radius of here.

I guess I asked about your progress (fingers-crossed) too soon. I hope that the T-Rex’s perform well.

Sorry to hear about the trail cam. Buying one is on my to-do list, but there are too many to choose from!

If it’s just the one pukeko, it’s possible that it’s lost.
A magpie, which I think has just reached adulthood, decided to join our family about 10 days ago, but it doesn’t appear to have caused any trouble. It’s getting tamer by the day, only flying off when you get about 4m away. If you couldn’t see it, you wouldn’t know it’s around, because it’s so quiet.

Cheers.

Reviewed the footage and another one of the possums had torn a hole in the mesh and got in, and the following day an army of birds followed. Argh! Unfortunately the camera didn’t catch it in the process of getting in so I’ve relocated it to the other side, which is a bit iffy since I can’t move it back far enough to capture the entire area of interest due to trees. We’ll see.

I’ll make a separate post about the trail cam, or start a thread if there isn’t already one.

1 Like