They’re out of season now, but I’ve found that possums are very fond of feijoas. I keep a good supply in the fridge. Once the fruiting stops, put relatively small, under-ripe feijoas in your traps/cages because they’re easier to skewer than a ripe one. The possums are still in feijoa mode, so the odds of getting them are high. I’ve even trapped a few rabbits in Timms baited with feijoas, so feijoas might be a good way of catching them in cages, if you have too many of them. I’d use them all year if I could get the damn things to freeze properly, but they turn to mush.
Using gloves, collect the fur. Stoats and weasels often line their dens with possum fur. Rats are also fond of it, and clumps of fresh wool are also good at attracting nest/den builders. Putting a real or fake egg on top of a pile of fur or wool is a good addition.
Hi Lawrence
I think that was recorded on a Jaycar 1080p camera. They’re a decent camera for the price and local. I have a bunch of Victure cameras too, I like that the Jaycar camera uses 940nm LEDs which isn’t so distracting to the larger predators. The 850nm LEDs can make cats and possums a little nervous.
Cam
…agree it’s probably another possum, sometimes hawks will have a go, but they will try to take meat off. we sometimes will leave a possum in a trap if trying to locate a feral cat, they will break the rib cage, eat the organs and leave the rest if they’re not hungry.
Wouldn’t have believed it -
Hey camthelegend, any chance you could re-upload this video? I’m finding this forum a few years down the line after googling the same issue - I’ve had a few possums attacked overnight after they’ve been killed in a flipping Timmy. I’d love to see your footage but it looks like the video is gone ![]()
Sorry, I think I moved a lot of videos offline as it was taking up a lot of space.
I think this is the one I originally posted
Sorry camthelegend for not replying earlier, I completely missed your reply.
Thanks so much for sharing! I recently purchased a trail camera after my curiosity got the best of me and I wanted to see what was going on. We were lucky enough to get footage of this exact thing happening.
It’s such a wild thing to see. I wonder why the attacking one is so adamant to get the dead one?
It was also interesting to see what happens to the trapped one when the trap goes off. Somehow we haven’t been able to catch that. I’ll have to keep tinkering with the camera settings.