IMport monitoring records

We’re now moving our old monitoring tunnel data onto TRAP.NZ. We have several questions.

Is it possible to add the following species as of interest?
Cockroach, Skink, & Gecko
We have been recording them using our existing spreadsheets, and would be sorry to lose them.

In the csv file import, is the system fussy about capitalisation ? eg is “Rat” imported the same as “rat” or “Rats” so will total together, or do we need to edit before importing. And if there is “Weta” and “Rat”, will both species be imported in one record, or two records made?

In addition, is it possible please to avoid using the term “Trap” or “bait station” in the Help screens about monitoring stations? It is hard enough for new users trying to get their heads around this system to learn the terms used, without having this confusion, eg when they phone up to ask for help & the terms used conflict or get muddled.

Thanks!

Hi, I cant answer your questions with certainty, but something I did which may help for you, is to do an Export of some data (make up some fake catches for the purpose if you need and delete later) and take a look at the CSV file for an Idea of what the system likes.

You can add whatever species you would like. Go to Project Categories, Monitoring Species, Add a New Term.

Is it possible to add the following species as of interest?
Cockroach, Skink, & Gecko

As Christine mentioned you can add your own Monitoring species: Go to Project Categories, Monitoring Species, Add a New Term.

In the csv file import, is the system fussy about capitalisation ? eg is “Rat” imported the same as “rat” or “Rats” so will total together, or do we need to edit before importing. And if there is “Weta” and “Rat”, will both species be imported in one record, or two records made?

It’s not too fussy about capitalisation, but it does care about the letters being the same. So Rat and rat will both work, but Rats won’t.

If you have multiple species you can separate them with a comma. That will make one record with multiple species selected.

In addition, is it possible please to avoid using the term “Trap” or “bait station” in the Help screens about monitoring stations? It is hard enough for new users trying to get their heads around this system to learn the terms used, without having this confusion, eg when they phone up to ask for help & the terms used conflict or get muddled.

Sorry about that, we will correct these as we find them.

Changing the types of installation from trap etc is what I’m currently working on. trap.NZ was originally created with trapping in mind so it’s often what we default to. Sorry about that.

Thanks Lenore
I understand that trapping ws the original focus, but muddling terms does confuse. Thanks for trying to sort it out!
J

Thanks Scott
re multiple species in the target list, I presume the comma will confuse with CSV files, so we need to use a different delimiter, eg : or |
j