iPhone app location while using

Trap.nz app forces location “always”, which is a bit creepy and iOS moans about the privacy implications.

Could location “while using the app” be allowed as an option?

I’m with you on this

Kia ora,

Thanks for getting in touch. The location issues will be resolved when the next version (v5) of the app is released, hopefully within the next few weeks!

Ngā mihi,
Sarah
(she/her)

2 Likes

You can go into the iOS location settings and manually change the option to “Only while using app”. The app complains but still works correctly. Great to hear this privacy issue is being fixed in the next version.

1 Like

Hi Sarah. Is this feature request still backlogged?

Kia ora,

v5 was released some months ago, and should have resolved the issues mentioned in this thread. Are you using v5 and still having issues? If so, please let us know!

Ngā mihi,
Sarah (she/her)

Yup. I’m on v5.0.3 and must only have location set to always so as not to get the in app error message.
3x Photos attached.

What happens if you click “Cancel” on the first screenshot you posted? Are you able to continue using the app without issue?

App appears to function correctly after clicking cancel.
If I close the app (Close an app on your iPhone or iPod touch - Apple Support) it asks again.

user-story: as trap.nz user i would like set the iOS Privacy settings for location services for the trap.nz application to only allow location access, while using the app.

1 Like

The app still asks for location services to be set to Always on my iPhone 12 running app v 6.2.21.

Also the app does not show the traps any more even with good Wifi. I can see them on the webpage. Which brings me to question: when are the filters for Baitstations, Traps, and so on, set to ON—when the oval icon is black with a white dot or when the oval icon is white with a thin black border and there is a black dot?

These icons are a v poor design choice with neither icon readily, or logically, translating to YES or NO. I suggest the icons be replaced by “YES” and “NO”.

Lastly, I think the lack of trap icons may relate to the recent app upgrade. I would like to delete the app and reinstall it but would I loose all my data and trap reports?

Kia ora @rogerxnz here are the steps to ensure no data is lost when resetting your phone. Resetting the trap.nz ... | Trap.NZ Help & User guides