Mirrors in DOCs to attract rats

A 2007 L. Robbins study observed that stoats might be attracted to mirrors. That had me bringing 50 3" diameter glass mirrors, found on Amazon, when I came last winter. They were added to 12 Doc 150 and 200s on a Ruahine trapline (Manaaki Ruahine) for a two month period.

The mirrors were glued onto a piece of cardboard which was then either wedged in place or held with small screws. Care was taken to align the mirrors so that the reflection wasn’t angled. Also the mirrors were periodically cleaned. The mirrors didn’t interfere with the lure placement. With these traps bait theft is prevented with the use of screen at the box top.

From January 14 to Mar 21 the 12 mirrored traps caught zero stoats but 14 rats. The 44 non mirrored traps caught 18 rats. 10 of the mirrored traps were consecutive even numbered traps. Those caught 10 of the 14. The intervening odd numbered traps caught none.

What to say about those results? It appears to have worked surprisingly well but more trials needed. I will be doing that when I return in December to my Northland trapping haunt. In the meantime a better use for a few makeup mirrors perhaps. My mirrors faced both directions. Would be interesting to see the results from a double with a one way facing mirror.

6 Likes

Hi Ron, very interesting study and results.
I would also like to learn more about the method used to attach the traps to the base. There seems to be a rubber type washer used to help minimise the impact of the trap triggering. I would like to copy your method so your advice and possibly photos will be much appreciated.
Thanks for considering this request. Cheers.

To stop triggering we use a thin sheet of closed cell packing foam the size of the trap base then screw the trap in. Works well and cheap too.

1 Like

Thanks for your advice Alistair I will try the method.