Monitoring for Stoats - best lure suggestions

The group I am working with in the Coromandel have been monitoring for the last 15 years, using tracking tunnels and cards. The monitoring has mainly focused on rats, mice, the occasional possum, plus insect presence. Using the existing monitoring lines, I’d like to do some dedicated monitoring for stoats, following the best practice guidelines of leaving the tracking card out for three consecutive days. I may also set up some trail cameras on some tunnels to record pest interaction while the bait is in place.

What have others used to be the most effective lure bait for stoats using tracking tunnels?
Options I have recently read about include; fresh rabbit, chicken necks, good nature blood lure (which is convenient as its in a pouch).
Appreciate any suggestions that are easily sourced and carried.

If you want to stick with the protocol then go with fresh rabbit.

Hijacking thread, sorry: So for stoats you leave the same card there for 3 nights? And for rats etc it’s just one night aye?

@davidnblake36 You are correct in that the stoat monitoring card is out for 3 nights (rats only 1 night). I’m just trying to ascertain what is the best lure for stoats. Fresh rabbit is hard to come by here. Thanks

Tricky if rabbit is hard to come by, I suppose you could substitute it for other raw meat (chicken etc.)

You should consider other monitoring methods such as baited cameras. It might give you a better indication of the numbers. ZIP make a lure dispenser (mayo) that you can put a camera on.

Our group in nelson has been using chicken necks for the 3 day stoat monitoring. I am interested in putting out some cameras and lure. Can some recommend a good brand of monitoring camera thanks

I’m wanting to try monitoring for mustelids for the first time using tracking cards. Does it matter what the weather is like for tracking cards? I thought using tracking cards the weather needed to be dry, or does a little rain not matter too much. I wouldn’t do it if heavy rain is expected. Also is 3 days preferable to 1 day for monitoring mustelids?

I’m unsure about monitoring but in this talk (Dr Andrew Veale - Genomics, Stoats and Predator Free 2050 - YouTube) Dr Andrew Veale said that in project janszoon they found that they had the most stoat interactions with egg mayo, however each stoat can be different (just like humans) and have different favourite foods. may is also easier to source then fresh rabbit.

I think it depends on where the station is and how its arranged for example if its on a slope and the openings could let water run in any rain matters but if its in a spot where a little rain wouldn’t get in it should be fine.