New Monitoring Methods

Hi all - I’m using some new technology in the bush to monitor predators - thermal cameras that automatically identify and report the creatures they see. Is it possible to add a new monitoring method? It doesn’t fit in any of the existing entries. I want to be able to record the predators seen at a monitoring station. All thoughts welcome.

Sounds like you are experimenting with the Cacophony project: https://cacophony.org.nz/
When you are on the project home page, there is a tab called “Group categories”
I think the “Monitoring Type” may be where you could add “Thermal Camera” to the list for your project.

Yes indeed! Collaborating with Cacophony to develop enhanced monitoring protocols.

Thanks for the info - looks like the right thing. I’ll give it a go :slight_smile:

Awesome, the Cacophony tech is very cool and should be a valuable asset. For now David’s advice is sound, though we are working to add support for camera traps and other monitoring in the near future, so stay tuned for announcements!

Excellent - I just created a feature request to add a time field to the monitoring event import and look at API usage so (eventually) the cameras could add monitoring events automatically.

Do let me know if you’d like to discuss any of this - I’m kicking off a collaboration with Cacophony that includes how we might record all the data from such devices.

Thanks,
Matthew.
mhellicar@gmail.com