North America calls them 'calls'

It’s been a few years since I posted here. A lull in my Canadian summer hopefully will result in this post and two more. I was in NZ for a full two years during covid and again for six months ending in May of this year. Five months of my covid time and six months last winter were spent full time volunteer predator trapping. My tally is 700+ possums, 500+ rats and 100+ stoats and weasels. Dare I say I must be near record territory for someone on a tourist visa! I’ll be returning this winter for more of the same. I call it buying another summer. My decision to return was aided by the visa I received last year when I applied for my extended visa. My cover letter boasting, as above, resulted in a not asked for visa good for three years with multiple entries of up to six months duration.

The bio folk at the airport weren’t quite as open minded though when I declared these. They kept them, saying they would be inspected and forwarded if allowed. No response to a follow up letter I wrote later asking for specifics on why they were barred from entry.

Their descriptions read:
Mink Master – Strong gland lure combined with essential oils and weasel musk appeals to the mink’s territorial nature and brings them in.
Feline Fix – Loaded with bobcat glands for a natural cat odour, this Feline Fix is a thick lure that also works great on fox and raccoon.
Tree Climber – This Tree Climber lure is a mild, yet sweet, lure. An irresistible blend of natural ingredients bring in marten and fisher. Also excellent for bobcat, fox and beaver.

Their intent is to get the animal to the area of the trap. Anything like them available in NZ? At $17 a bottle I’d be willing to try again. Perhaps best I make a written request prior and include the samples. Are they worth trying? I have had success using a box knife to cut the scent glands of male stoats to musk up cotton wool. (Go figure that it even attracts rats! Very dumb rats??)
Rather wicked doing it that way though. Perhaps a tad nicer to just open a bottle.

Bio control did allow me to bring in this catnip / silvervine mix though.
It was first trialled in town with a trail camera showing two neighbourhood cats, at different times, coming to investigate overnight. A tablespoon or two was wrapped in fine copper mesh and the ball left to hang on a wire. Tooth marks were evident in the mesh. No joy though in attracting anything with it in the field. Silvervine is more attractive to cats than catnip and 75% of cats not attracted to catnip are attracted to silvervine. Prior to bringing it I pulverized the original mix with a blender.

3 Likes

I’m angry that biosecurity doesn’t allow calls/musk lures into NZ. Even the synthetic ones are banned! How, exactly, are these lures going to harm wildlife?

People are allowed to possess potentially invasive exotic pets, like birds (already becoming invasive), gerbils, hamsters, guinea pigs, turtles, tortoises, lizards, salamanders, newts, and skinks. So, that’s okay with biosecurity, but processed animal products aren’t permitted?

1 Like

Thanks for doing so much work in NZ! We need to clone you about 500 times and we’d be done with Predator Free 2050!

Has anyone thought about some sort of trap or machine pumping out scent lures? Like actually pumping aerosols into the air? With the idea that you could lure in pests from hundreds of meters away?

Maybe some solar powered thing that has a bottle of lure. It gets sprayed into the air, carried by the wind…

I’m coming at this from the perspective of needing to have fewer traps. We can’t have a trap every 100m all over NZ to catch every rat out there. If they could be 1000m apart, that’s a 25 fold savings.