Plastic Free Conservation - Social Survey

Stakeholders in the New Zealand Conservation sector

‘Why is single-use plastic still in the conservation toolbox?’

My name is Katie and i’m a PhD student at Lincoln University. I would like to invite community groups, backyard trappers and conservation enthusiasts in New Zealand to participate in a research project titled ‘why is single-use plastic still in the conservation toolbox?’. Community groups and trappers are a key demographic in this study and currently they’re the hardest to get ahold of!

This project is part of my PhD thesis that looks into the sustainability of conservation in New Zealand and ways we can reduce the environmental impact of pest mammal monitoring.

During this project I aim gather thoughts and opinions from a number of important stakeholders in the New Zealand conservation sector about the use of single-use plastic in pest mammal monitoring, if they consider it an issue and if they would be willing to integrate more sustainable practises.

To participate in this project, I am asking participants to pre-read a short communication titled ‘‘why is single-use plastic still in the conservation toolbox?’ and then complete a short survey. The short communication is a basic overview of the use of chew cards in NZ pest mammal monitoring, the amount of plastic this puts into our ecosystems and potential alternatives. It is anticipated this will take 10-20 minutes to complete.

If you are interested in participating in the study or have any questions, please email me on katie.pitt@lincolnuni.ac.nz

I look forward to hearing from you!
Katie :blush:

4 Likes