Ship rat, Norway rat and Kiore

Please add the three different rat species into the species caught list. Having one “rat” column doesn’t help when trying to review data for each species, as they behave differently.

I wouldn’t want to lose the generic “rat” entry though as many volunteer trappers can’t confidently tell the difference between ship and norway rats. Very few programs will be trapping kiore.

1 Like

Zukiwi raises a good point. Maybe have it as an option but it pools it into the “rat” category. Meaning you can pull all the “rat” data which would include the three rat species, but you can also pull all the ship rat etc. data separately .

1 Like

lose the kore option
Ship and norway rats can be distinguished by their tail-lengths and ears

I requested this back in May and it was something they were already working on and had settled on adding a sub-species category for Rat allowing optional entry of Kiore, Norway or Ship. I think that takes care of any issues raised above. I asusme this is in the development queue for the website.

2 Likes

Cam’s correct, we are planning to add a subspecies field for catches.

1 Like

Sometimes I can tell which type of rat I have caught, and sometimes I can’t (e.g., with decomposition). So the optional entry sub-species set up would work for me.

1 Like

To identify a ship rat, think of a sailing ship - lots of rope and sails. Ship rat has a long tail - think rope. Ship rat has big ears - think sails

1 Like

Thanks for that Alan - that makes it easy to remember.