Site is very slow

I’m seeing 15 to 30 seconds delay every time I make a click - this makes the site tedious and unworkable

2 Likes

I see this sometimes as well. When I was limited by Chorus’s 2Mbps ADSL link I could understand it. But as I now benefit from Elon Musk’s Starlink at well over 100 Mbps it’s a bit frustrating to have to wait 15 seconds or so. Then the next click responds almost immediately. I thought it might have been the satellites going behind the trees but clearly I’m not alone in seeing this.

All very strange.

Kia ora all,

We are aware that the site is sometimes quite slow, and we are constantly trying to improve performance. It’s annoying for us too! Sorry for the frustration, and thank you for your patience!

Ngā mihi,
Sarah

Are there any updates on improving the speed of the website? Pages still take a very long time to load when editing and adding bait records.

Kia ora,

We’re constantly monitoring site performance and trying to work out ways to improve it as we add more functionality to the site. If you’re having a consistently long wait for a particular workflow, please let me know the details and I can ask the dev team to take a closer look.

Ngā mihi,
Sarah
(she/her)

The website is almost unusable today. Trying to add bait records is taking 10-15s to load a page. If you have application performance monitoring (APM) in place you should be able to see where the issues are. My guess is that it’s a backend and probably a database issue.

Hi @zeman - sorry to hear that. Yes, we have had some slowdowns recently, and in particular related to bait stations. We are putting more monitoring in place to isolate the bottleneck.

… and we also had some issues with defective devices continuously adding records over periods. We are tweaking the rate-limiting so as to stop this from affecting others.

On the website side, I’ve noticed sometimes there are several seconds delays between steps, and I’m on fibre in town. Also, it has been tidied up a bit, but if you press the SAVE button repeatedly within about 1 second between presses, it’ll save multiple records of an empty trap or worse, a catch. Since you can always say that you’ve had two Strikes to record two mice or two rats being caught in a trap in one event, you don’t need this kind of SAVE repeat function, and no-one is going to be visiting a trap again within a few minutes at least, so that should be the software’s debouncing period for each individual trap. You should never be able to enter trap data into the future either. This will help ensure erroneous data is not entered.

If you have the data freely available from all trapping areas, could the trappers be able to see ongoing catch counts throughout NZ for each pest species for the day/week/month/year in a special window?

Kia ora all!

The dev team has done some sleuthing, and they’re hopeful they’ve found a fix for considerably improving site performance! It was implemented about half an hour ago. We’ll keep tabs on things over the next week or two to see whether there are any unexpected repercussions to this change, but if all goes well, it should be smooth(er) sailing from now on!

Ngā mihi,
Sarah
(she/her)

1 Like

Yes, much better today on the speed of entering individual trap data. Good stuff.

I checked, and the debouncing issue isn’t sorted, that should be easy and important to get it right too.I also managed to save a record for a trap capture in 2023, how’s that for efficiency?

Regarding the website catch data entry field, if it was squashed up a bit more and the SAVE button moved up the page, it would save a lot of mouse movements and scrolling. It’s nearly there.

1 Like

Today I noticed that the trap catch monthly report no longer shows the rats caught, properly. It just shows the rats entered as Rats, but not the ones that might be Norway rats or Ship rats. It has behaved better before, adding them all into the total count.