Great system, as a newbie I’m enjoying it.Two of us enter our trap records, one on iPhone app, me on the website version at the moment (Windows10, Google Chrome). I’ve noticed that if you save a record, then while it’s updating, press Save again, you can get multiple entries all the same. If it includes a catch, it upsets the true record. Why not simply debounce the Save key entry? Also check you don’t have two entries on the same day for the same trap, without asking “are you sure?”. Also check the date saved is not sometime into the future, as can happen on the app version quite often. When moving a trap location with all its data a short distance, make that a bit clearer as it’s not until you SAVE that the trap moves, it takes a while to figure it out. When you walk a batch of 40-50 traps and you only have a couple of catches, it would be great to click on the trap numbers you visited, group those and add the non-catch data in one entry, then apply (not necessarily on one trap line, more flexible). And here’s another issue, if you key in your trapper name differently to last time, you become a new trapper, and then the ‘catch by trapper’ data gets split up. You should be able to edit the trapper name field to suit, then it’ll lock harder to your previous data, and if you key in your name slightly wrong it’ll prompt you before you save lots of data with a different name. Cheers, Graham.
No replies, so I must be well off the mark, but I’m still finding the web data entry slow and I have to spend lots of time fixing it to be sure it’s accurate. Today I put my name, in sometimes with a space added after it, so of course that was a new trapper, even though there was no difference on the screen output. Maybe I have a big font, but the data entry form is longer than a page, so I have to use the mouse to scroll down a lot, even though I never post images etc, that option could be poked sideways to keep the form length shorter. The file seems to reindex some time after you’ve entered data and some on-screen mistakes in it are cleared up then. For example if you check to see your entries on the day added up to x rats and y mice, the catch report lines might show unreal double entries for a few minutes. I still think that for flexibility in the real world, the person walking the trap line might do 10 or 40 traps depending on the situation, and it won’t always line up with a preconfigured trap line. They would like to be able to gather in most of the trap numbers and add common comments to those, to speed up the data entry. Is that too difficult?
Thanks for your thoughts. We know that the web interface is a bit clunky, it’s helpful to have your concise thoughts about what we could do to make it better.
It’s always tricky trying to figure what priority to give different requests because the sad reality is we can’t do everything!
We recently added a feature request section to the forum. The intention is that we can start tracking requests and also get feedback from the community on what the priority for different features should be.
I’ve moved your post there so we don’t lose your request.
Thanks for making the time to share your thoughts with us.
Thanks for the reply. I don’t do computer coding but have done some micro work, so I can see the program is just a bit buggy in some areas, input error handling could be better. If there was a special mode for clicking on each trap location of interest in an area and adding the same check data in one go, that would be massive, and shouldn’t be hard to code. But in the meantime just fixing the data entry testing and debouncing would help, and that’s got to be done anyway. I like the way the program learns a bit about bait options and over time brings your recent bait up the top of the list, that could be sped up as generally we use the same bait all through the lines, on a given pass. We try to mix it up a bit on each pass to see if the results improve.
You might like to create some web pages within the site just full of trapping/lure ideas in table form that have worked for different pest species and traps. We can dig it up from the forum in bits and pieces, but that is not as useful.
The all important catch/nocatch entry screen could be formatted as two columns on one page so that there’s no scrolling down to the bottom. We’ve figured out that on some of the free-form data entries like Bait Details, Chrome is holding aside your normal entries and ranking them. The site itself could do this for each user perhaps, so it’s more consistent on other browsers.
If each user at the start of their data entry for a trap walk could key in their name, that they are going to rebait each trap, what the bait will be, and that by default the bait is missing, trap still set and the trap is OK otherwise, we could then have that same-day generic data sitting behind a tick box that says “Default” or something like that, at the top of the data entry for each trap. You could just select this box, check the settings on the page and make any changes for that trap, then Save. An option could be that a new trap record already has the default settings you’ve pre-chosen that day.