Trap Status settings

In the status section can we have something better than "sprung ". I have a live trap that I tend to leave unset/dormant until I know there is something worth catching and think the status is not very well covered by these

Kia ora,

Thanks for your feedback. We’ve heard similar things from a number of users and the dev team are currently reviewing the trap status options.

Hopefully we’ll have an update that better deals with your use case soon!

Ngā mihi,
The Trap.NZ Team

1 Like

Hi,
Has updating “status” to include “unset” or “closed” as options been considered. We are using a significant number of cage traps in our projects and really need an option for when the traps are closed.

thanks,
Miranda

1 Like

We are having the same issue. I am having to retire cage traps with sensors so volunteer trappers do not get confused about cages we have temporary shutdown.

@mirandab @sikmat there is an option to set the trap as “disabled” under the trap conditions. This then show in the corrected catch rates as the trap not being available

Yes I’m aware of that option under condition, unfortunately the status will still say something contradictory such as “still set” which means it’s hard to tell which is the accurate information. If Status had even a “blank” option to select this would stop confusion. For Live cage traps its really important to know when the trap is open or closed and TrapNZ is not making this easy to record. The TrapNZ records for Council’s such as ourselves are proof we are following guidelines for cage trap use, if we can’t clearly indicate a trap is closed/open then we would need to have another data management tool being used in parallel to TrapNZ which is another time drain.

I really hope this will be reconsidered.
Thanks,
Miranda

Using ‘disabled’ in TrapNZ app. still shows the sensor as active (and trap sprung if cage sprung before making disabled, from memory) on the sensor tab so confusing for volunteer trapper who does not know what has been happening in detail. Just makes the trap grey and ‘?’ mark. The map shows the trap sensor still radiating outwards which is confusing for a disabled trap.