Trapping Myna Birds

Yep I disagree, got 15 the other day.

Good effort! Where are you and what were you using for bait?

1 Like

Hi Cam,

I use dried Dog Food and a few pieces of white bread, near the entrance.

Only using white bread outside the cage, helps other birds not going into the trap.

I find once you have your first Myna, others will try and join them in cage. I was thinking of adding a Mirror to cage, as I heard that the reflection of the birds attracts them into the cage. But haven’t done this yet,

Thanks…Gary

Hi Gary

People seem to have different experiences. Adrian Gilbert was the one who said only use white bread (which worked well for me) whereas in Oz they say dog/cat food which for they weren’t interested in at all. But maybe I needs to get a specific flavour. I even dyed it red for the buggas, but no cigar on that one. In winter I found that the caller bird made little difference and I was able to get bird in regardless. But there could be many factors to that. Adrian said not to prefeed outside the cage, but I don’t think it’s a bad idea. Do you have sparrows getting into the cage? I found them to be smarter and more able to get out to door and maybe 30% of them could squeeze through the mesh. They’re unlikely to go for the dog food I would have thought. Cheers, Cam