Understanding benefits of an API key

The TRAP.NZ Help screen for “API key” does not explain the benefits or purposes of API keys, who needs them and who does not, or how TRAP.NZ performance might be impacted by having or not having one.
Would you please explain the risks & benefits? Thanks.

Hey Jo,

I’m a developer, and relatively new to Trap.NZ but I can tell you that in general an API key is a access code that a developer can use to integrate other software with Trap.NZ. The Trap.NZ developers have provided an API (an Application Programming Interface) to allow developers to extract information from Trap.NZ programatically on demand (there are usually limits around this to ensure the system is not overwhelmed by a poorly programmed system). Some API’s may provide support for registering new data or changes to existing data also, for example the Trap.NZ API has support for logging catch information. Presumably this can be used if you have a fancy self-reporting trap or similar.

For us we used the API to show catch numbers on the https://akv.nz/ website. We’ve only just started trapping so our numbers are low.

Having, or not having, an API key will not affect performance of your normal daily experience with the Trap.NZ website, and nor does it really add any risk to your setup either, assuming the developers have created the API to well published security standards.

Cheers!

Bob.
AKV / Turboweb

1 Like

The API key is associated with your user account. It can only be used for map feeds (which are read-only) it doesn’t impact the performance of the trap.NZ App or website for the user. Here is the help link if you are wanting any further information
https://help.trap.nz/books/trapnz-comprehensive-user-guide/chapter/map-feeds

Thank you Bob and Lenore, that’s helpful.

I had looked at
Generating an API key | Trap.NZ Help & User guides
not realising there was more in the manual and a previous Forum question.
Perhaps something on the Member account page to say “used by developers to link to GiS …” would help unfamiliar users to realise that it is not for them. And place the API key section further down the page?

Cheers, and thanks again,
jo

Thanks for your feedback