Using licorice for tracking

I’m just wanting to know if anyone has tried this type of monitoring, or trapping approach as I’m hoping to try it but be good to know tips and tricks from anyone who has tried it already if possible.

• Licorice: Preferably a soft, chewy type.
  • Wax (Paraffin or Beeswax): To form the base of the block.
  • Filler (Optional): Such as rolled oats, flour, or cornmeal, to add bulk and texture.
  • Pest Control Substance (Optional): If the blocks are intended for pest control.

Steps to Make Licorice Wax Blocks:

1. Melt the Wax:
  • In a double boiler, melt your wax until fully liquefied.
  1. Add Licorice:
  • Cut the licorice into small pieces and add it to the melted wax. Stir until the licorice is fully integrated into the wax mixture. The licorice will give off its scent, making the blocks more attractive to certain rodents.
  1. Mix in Filler (Optional):
  • If you’re using a filler, add it to the wax-licorice mixture. This will help create a firmer block and can make the wax go further.
  1. Mold the Blocks:
  • Pour the mixture into molds or onto a lined tray. Shape them into small blocks or discs.
  1. Cool and Harden:
  • Allow the blocks to cool and harden at room temperature. You can speed up this process by placing them in the refrigerator.
  1. Use as Bait or Tracking Tool:
  • Place the licorice wax blocks in areas where you’ve noticed rodent activity. Monitor them regularly to check for signs of gnawing or other activity.

There’s a professional rat trapper in the UK with his own Youtube channel, that uses licorice all-sorts as his primary lure in large snap traps that have a skewer.

One thing that you could use to make things easier, would be to use anise oil. It’s very concentrated, so you’d only have to add a drop or two to your wax recipe. A small bottle of anise oil would last you for years.

If you’re trapping possums, anise oil on apples, with a dusting of flour, works very well.

Cheers.

3 Likes

Thanks, I’ll definitely give both of those a try

Yes we also use licorice all-sorts in our Trapinator possum traps, good results too.

3 Likes