Wasp trap protein powder

More wasp queens seemed to survive the milder winter in our Auckland garden in 2026. After trying several others, we deployed an Envirosafe wasp trap which uses a protein powder based bait. No toxins, the insects are attracted and basically drown.
First day early September the trap caught 4 large European wasps and 3 blowflies.
Caught no native insects.

5 Likes

Is there a way to catch the queens? I remember years ago, we randomly had the material from a large sun umbrella sort of folded up on our deck over winter. The frame of the umbrella had broken and we just sort of left the material on the floor.

When I came to put it away some weeks later, I found about 4 queens hiding in the folds of the material. I squished them of course. I have since tried to do it a couple of times again. Hoping to catch more. But no luck…

Squashing 4 queen wasps means 4 fewer nests in your area. That’s big.
We have caught now multiple queen wasps over a week and this will make outdoors much more pleasant over summer.

2 Likes