What difference does retiring a trap make vs leaving it idle?

For the home based trappers some leave the area, I was wondering what difference it makes if I retire a trap if that happens and then reactivate it if some one new moves into the same location and starts trapping .
In some cases people dont tell us they have left so we would only know when someone new requests a trap for a location that previously had one.
So should we go through the retire/ reactivate process or just leave them all active with no traps results being recorded - it makes no difference to us - does it to those who analyse the trap data?
Thanks David

Kia ora David,

If the same trap is being used in the same location, then it’s best to leave it and allow the new people to add records to it. That way the data analysis can show the efficacy of trapping at that location with that trap over time, regardless of who is servicing it.

Ngā mihi,
The Trap.NZ Team

Thanks Sarah,
In some cases there might be a gap between someone moving out of a property and a new person starting trapping, its also the case that the trap might be anew one not physically the same trap.
From your reply, we would be inclined to just leave the trap as active and hopefully new owners/tenants of the property will take up the challenge to trap.
Cheers
David

Kia ora David,

Yes leaving the trap as active would be best I think.

It might also be useful for you to add the contact details of the landowner to the installation, and update this when it changes. For community traps this is really useful, it’s what a number of the big projects do.

You can do that in the app by enabling contractor mode, or do it in the website on installation edit form.

Ngā mihi,
The Trap.NZ Team