Bait concentration?

I’m just about to add my first bait station record, and it has concentration % as a required field.

I’m using Ditrac blocks, which according to https://keyindustries.co.nz/PORTALS/0/AUTOPDF/VTA-DIT8_LABEL.PDF
has 0.05g/kg Diphacinone.

That works out as 0.00005 % concentration! Does the bait record really require me to put that? It seems kind of pointless and very error prone to getting extra/missing zeros.

0.05g/kg would be 0.005%
Not that that resolves your issue though.

Lol, yeah, math fail. If anything that proves my point though, right?

Touché. :slightly_smiling_face:

Kia ora,

Thanks for getting in touch. Yes, entering 0.005% into that field would be the correct way to record the concentration. We understand that entering bait concentration this way isn’t ideal, and are hoping to review this and make it more user friendly. Any suggestions are welcome!

Ngā mihi,
Sarah
(she/her)

The current option will be providing a lot of incorrect information. Therefore suggest that this data is not entered unless it is left in as an option only. My understanding is that some of the requirement for entry has been around Pestoff where the contractor grade is at .05g/kg vs the publically available Pestoff at .02g/kg.(Decreases the hazard rating and allows it to be sold publically). Don’t really see the point of the entry other than the brand name. Perhaps contractors who use large amounts across large areas could be required to enter the % figure as an option. Pointless making it for everyone using Trap NZ as it stops people setting up on Trap NZ. First steps need to be easy. Also at least 50% of entries will be wrong in my experience.

6 Likes

Yep I don’t know why the count of blocks isn’t an option, rather than weight.

We use PESTOFF Rodent Blocks which are 25 grams each, so when adding blocks you need to multiple them by 25 to add the correct weight.

I doubt many people do this. Maybe for block an option can be added ‘item’, I understand the need for weight for pellets.

Thanks…Gary

It is now over 1 year later and nothing has changed re the bait concentration entry. It is a real huge block for people first using Trap NZ for the first time. In our experience with community groups on private land it prevents around half of people setting up Trap NZ on their phone. It is totally unnecessary to be compulsory as the brand name should be more than enough. The only exception would perhaps be where contractors are using the higher strength Pest Off which is 2.5 x more concentrated than the commercially available Pest Off possum bait. If you want to cover that off then make it an optional extra for contractors. It should not be a default requirement. As an earlier responder points out a very high chance info entered incorrectly as Active Ingredient recorded on packaging not always as % AI. Sometimes g/kg. Most people will not get it right if trying to do the maths. Their should not be barriers to entry but this is one of them.